May 14, 2009

Moth and thistles, framed quilling

Thistle and hawk moth

I was pretty much satisfied with my previous small framed work "Bumblebees and flowers", and short time after it created this thistle with a hawk moth.

Thistle and hawk moth, sketch

The pattern is entirely mine, as opposed to the previous one, which is inspired by an embroidery design from a book. As usual, I started off by making a sketch, of the composition in its whole and the moth alone.

Husking using pins

Then began to quill it :) This is how husking of a leaf looks like.

Thistle and moth, side view

Each flowerhead is made of a fringed flower attached to a ball-like base, which consists of two halves.

Thistle and moth from above

The moth is composed of tight quilling shapes. The frame is hand-made from thick watercolor paper colored using a bronze metallic ink marker. Size: 9x17cm (3 1/2 x 6 5/8 inches) without frame.

14 comments:

PaperDelite said...

Oh WOW!That husking looks tough... the husked leaf is gorgeous.. I love the flowers too.. they look fantastic.

Sonya said...

Inna, You should find a gallery to display your truly masterpiece quilling in. It is gorgeous and you are an inspired artist.

Jeanne said...

Wow...seriously...WOW! You are truly an amazing quiller and artist. Thank you SO much for sharing!

Ana Baird said...

wow! another masterpiece! love it!

Inna D. said...

Archana, Sonya, Jeanne, thank you all very much! I'm afraid my quilling isn't good enough to display in a gallery. But I'm improving :)

Inna D. said...

Thank you very much, Ana!

Anonymous said...

Oh yes you are...good enough. You have mastered the art. I hope I can do half as well. As a beginner, I am in awe of your beautiful guilling.

Anonymous said...

And your quilling too. LOL

Inna D. said...

Thank you so much for your kind comment!

Baukje said...

Hallo Inna
zou ik het patroon van deze prachtige Fringed Flower van jou mogen hebben
prachtig
Groetjes Baukje

Inna D. said...

Sorry, I don't use patterns for my work. I come up with an idea, then make sketches of a design, choose one of them and quill. I wrote in the post how I made this one.

LouEmm said...

How did you do the large thistle?? I can do small one's but I'm struggling to get one bigger than 1cm width

Inna D. said...

@LouEmm
Try gluing together several paper strips. Try also using wider strips.

Davina said...

Inna, your work is so beautiful! Please can you tell me how do you get the thistles to be so round? I know how to do fringed flowers, but mine are flatter, not so puffy and round. How do I make them like yours?